Sunday, September 27, 2009

Weekend Update


It’s been an altogether decent weekend.

For me anyway.

My neighbor has been chopping corn for two full days already and isn’t finished yet.

Girlfriend and I did some woodcock hunting and came home empty handed.

Someone once said that a good day of lousy woodcock hunting is better any day of the week than a good day at work.

A walk in the fall woods is always good.

I also took the opportunity to sit with my bow and see what was happening.

And there wasn't much going on.

Saturday night about a half-hour before shooting time a little deer scampered into shooting range. Followed by a second deer. A couple of twin fawns. And very stupid - as I could have taken either one or both of them.

Mama followed.

Mom was the nervous sort and it was immediately clear that she was not comfortable with whatever is was that was hanging about in their proximity.

Bow up and with the release clipped-on the string I pondered drawing as soon as the doe turned away and taking her. I was thinking – Well, the fawns don’t have spots anymore – they’re not nursing. They’ll do fine.

With the completion of that thought the doe stalked-off with a stiff-legged gait and the fawns followed.

The frau and I began to get caught-up on more fall chores – namely stacking three cords of firewood for the winter.


The wood box in the house is full; the wood rack on the porch is stacked with the balance stacked in the barn.

For good measure I canned nine more pints of tomatoes and froze a pile of pumpkin puree. And a big, giant batch of sauerkraut too.

I’m not buying kraut anymore. We dined on Jaeger Schnitzel, spaetzle and homemade sauerkraut on Saturday night.

Squash and sweet onions are in the machine shed awaiting winter storage.

2 comments: