Monday, February 7, 2011

Deer Camp Chili

2 - packages of ground venison
2 - medium garden onions chopped
2 - green peppers chopped
2 - red peppers chopped
2 - garlic cloves minced
1 - 46 oz bottle of V8 juice
2 - 27 oz cans of chili beans undrained
3 - 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes with green chilies
4 - T chili powder
2 - t salt
1 - t fresh cracked pepper


Brown the venison along with the onions, peppers and garlic.


Stir-in the V8 juice, beans, tomatoes, chili powder, salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.


Serve with the following accompaniments:  sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped sweet onions and oyster crackers.  Feeds 8 hungry hunters.

This is an incredibly easy dish that can be thrown together on short notice.

2 comments:

  1. I do a 50/50 split with ground chuck. I also use garden-grown canned tomatos, of which I have a supply sufficient for deer camp use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made this for the curling club's Chili Spiel and all my canned tomatoes were at the farm. Sigh.

    When I do it again I'm using the garden tomatoes and homemade tomato juice.

    ReplyDelete