Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Survival of the Fittest

I got a curious and disturbing photo on one of my silent observers in the forest.  A picture of a three-legged deer.

Word around these parts at the café, or the ball field in Kolberg or in some of the local watering holes is of a doe with three legs.  Not literally three legs - but three functional legs.  Sightings have been reported since last winter.

Seems her right front leg was damaged and is now permanently locked into a flexed position.

The animal is getting around on three working legs.

And she's not looking so good either.


Thin and gaunt with her ribs showing.

Contrast with this healthy doe and her fat and sassy fawn.


The Frau asked me if I would kill the three-legged deer if I encountered her while hunting.  Funny she should ask as I had been pondering that very notion myself.  A mercy killing.  Imagine me the camouflage Kevorkian.

And the answer is no.  Aside from the practical considerations of tagging an animal from which not much useful meat would be obtained or leaving it dead in the woods for the critters - which would constitute a game violation.  Nature will handle this on her own time.  After-all this animal has survived to this point after likely being stuck by a vehicle quite some time ago. 

She may live longer or be taken down by a wolf of coyote.  Nature always seeks a balance.

Door County - where the strong survive and the weak are killed and eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment