Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Another Letter to the Editor

The following letter to the editor was published in the Door County Advocate following a front-page story about a Door County youngster afflicted with Duchenne muscular dystrophy.

This little fella enjoyed a guided hunt, used a donated bear tag and fired his rifle by blowing through a straw. He bagged a bear. It was a dream come true.

Good for him.

Here's the letter-

Don't Encourage Animal Cruelty

I was extremely dismayed to read the story entitled "Dream come true" on the front page of Wednesday's Advocate regarding the 13-year-old Door County hunter who shot a 100-pound black bear.

While I certainly understand the issues he faces as a person with muscular dystrophy and sympathize with him and his family, I also feel for the animals who try to share our world and get blown away for no reason other than entertainment.

Sport hunting inflicts irrefutable cruelty on living, sentient beings and should be at odds with the values of a humane and caring society. Isn't there enough hostility in the world? At a time when youth violence is a nationwide epidemic, we should not be teaching our children that stalking and killing animals for trophies is wholesome fun. Shouldn't we be encouraging our youth to show compassion and kindness, not advocating violence?

Of course, I wish Ben the best; however, I'm sorry he wasn't armed with just a camera instead.

JoAnne Rosenfeld
Egg Harbor
______________________________________________________________________

So I composed the following letter in reply and emailed it off to the editor of the Door County Advocate.

We'll see if it is published.
______________________________________________________________________

Dear Editor:

JoAnne Rosenfeld's letter to the editor (Advocate 10/10/09) begs for a response.

Your readers can probably take comfort in knowing that Ms. Rosenfeld is a vegan. Judging from the sincerity of her views we might appropriately conclude that this is the case and accord the necessary gravity to her opinion.

I would. I have vegan acquaintances and I respect their views and they respect my hunting.

I read the article about Ben Junion and nowhere did I note that this animal went to waste.

I presume that Ben's family would do what any other self-respecting family would do - they would put the meat and the pelt of Ben's trophy to good use. And Ben's presumably shorter number of years on this earth would be blessed by his efforts and the generosity of others.

Why would anyone get their nose out of joint over this?

Sincerely,

Thomas Gaertner
Brussels

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you share DC with some real wackadoos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lady is entitled to her opinion. I would trust that she is the most compliant of vegans. I can respect that.

    Absent that it's nothing but hypocrisy.

    However - the notion that this youngster "blew-away" the animal as a form of "cruel entertainment" or a manifestation of "violent hostility" is over the top.

    I would like to think that Door County is where the strong survive and the weak are killed and eaten.

    Haven't I read that somewhere else....?

    ReplyDelete