Thursday, April 16, 2009

Talkin' Turkey

Up at daybreak and out for the first day of 2009 turkey hunting.

After a couple of hours of calling I had a gang of four hens come into my decoys only to leave and return a half-hour later.

I'm thinking - Hens. That's good. If the ladies stick around maybe a horny old gobbler will come along to put the move on them. Charm them so to speak.

They left.

Back to my book.

Book? You're reading a book?

You bet.

Turkey hunting is a sport of concealment and patience and there is no better way to while-away your time than calling every twenty minutes or so and reading a good book.

This morning I started on The Road by Cormac McCarthy. If you are into post-apocalyptic genre I recommend it.

Anyway, as I was a little more than half way through the book I glimpsed movement further up the trail.

A couple of big birds. Both heading in my direction at a determined pace. Ooooh baby.

Book down and gun-up.

Here they come. A pair of good sized gobblers too.

They stop at about 30 paces and size-up the situation.

I'm thinking - I have a clean shot. Separate you morons.

One bird turns to depart and the other takes one more step toward the decoys.

Kaboom!

The trusty Mossberg 12GA. turkey gun barks and there is dinner. Before lunch time.










The bird weighed-in at twenty four pounds at the registration station. It had one and an eighth inch spurs and a nine-inch beard.

2 comments:

  1. Nice bird!

    Serve up great at a gathering of the local internet braintrust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.

    It was a dandy for sure. Big damn bird.

    I did something different this time - instead of plucking the bird (like I have done every other time before) I skinned and butchered it.

    I froze a couple of enormous breast halves for roasting, the thighs for braising, and the legs for soup.

    I held out the breast tenders for the wife and I - tonight maybe.

    I removed the entire tail fan and after I deflesh it I figure on boraxing the skin and preserving it as a mount. I never did this before so it is going to be an experiment of sorts.

    I froze the feet too. I'm going to make some sort of talisman out of those spurs. Not sure what - but something. Then I am going to use it as a device to conjure-up the spirits and cast spells.

    ReplyDelete