Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Foray Into Taxidermy

I thought I would turn my hand at something I've been meaning to do for quite some time - namely a simple taxidermy project.

I removed the tail on the gobbler I shot this spring with a goal of making a mount of it.

The first step it to remove as much of the flesh and fatty tissue as possible from around the area of the quills.

Then mix a cup of borax (Twenty Mule Team Borax) with a cup of non-iodized salt (Kosher salt).















Take a piece from a heavy cardboard box and cover it with aluminum foil. Leave an extra flap of foil near the bottom in the middle.

Rub a generous helping of the borax mixture into and around the part of the tail that will face down.

Place a handful of borax mixture on the foil and press the base of the tail into it.

Spread the tail fan over the foil starting from the middle and working outward. Use something to assist in holding it in place. Pins or small finishing nails. I used a staple gun.

Work more of the borax mixture into the part of the tail facing up. Pour the remainder over it.















Fold the foil flap up and over the borax mixture and fasten in place.















I took an additional piece of foil and wrapped it around the base of the turkey's beard with some of the borax mixture as well.

I left the whole shebang on the workbench in the basement and will report-back with the results in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment