Monday, September 5, 2011

Super Bowl Salsa

I have been canning up a storm lately.  Tomatoes, pickling cucumbers, green beans up the yazoo.

Just this last weekend I picked fresh, vine-ripened tomatoes.  An entire sink-full!

What to do? 

Make salsa.

Using the tomatoes as my base I blanched, skinned, cored and seeded the fruits.  There were green peppers from the kitchen garden too.

And sweet onion, carrots, garlic and secret spices.  Even a couple of jalapenos from the grocery.

Ordinarily the salsa-making is a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants affair which ceases when the pot is full. Traditionally - I call this garbage salsa - a little bit of everything from the garden. 

Since it is my prediction that the glorious Green Bay packers will return to the Super Bowl - I now call this Super Bowl Salsa.

Eight glorious quarts on hand for this winter - including deer camp.

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking for your recipe for this Super Bowl Salsa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plenty ripe tomatoes - mostly Italian plumb - skinned.

    Chop and cook in your largest stock pot with plenty of garden sweet onions, sweet peppers, garlic and a couple of jalapeño ( all peppers are seeded).

    Season with cummin, seasoned salt and anything else that suits your taste.

    Process.

    Hope that helps - seat of the pants canning...

    ReplyDelete