Thursday, August 13, 2009

County Fair

One of the summer highlights around here is the County Fair.

And I love going to the fair.

Not the midway with all the crazed-looking carnies operating all of those rides held-together with rusted bolts and baling wire. Or even those rigged games. I'm talking about the exhibitors, demonstrations and entries.

I like checking-out the prize vegetables, baked goods and preserved foods.

Someone’s homemade tomato juice won a First Prize this year. I don’t mean to brag but I’d stack my garden salsa up against that juice any day of the week. And my green beans look better than some of the anemic entries I saw. And my cranberry bread is probably better than some of the breads entered this year.

Oh well. There is always next summer.

Anyway, the one thing that is better than the poultry competition is the cattle judging.



Everyone is scrubbing, primping, blow-drying and otherwise getting their bovine charges ready for a good-old-fashioned beauty contest.











The very best part is the kids and their cattle.




Like this little fella answering questions from the judge about his calf.



Or this young lady with her spring bull.



The other cool thing is that unlike the big and important Wisconsin State Fair – you get to be up-close and personal with all the action.

No comments:

Post a Comment