Thursday, August 6, 2009

Snakes! Yikes!


I found this freshly-shed snake skin on the edge of the shed near the garden.

All 40+ inches of it!

I think it belongs to a western fox snake.

These are really cool reptiles. They capture and hold their prey squeezing it to death by coiling around it. Then they swallow it whole. They also vibrate their tail when agitated.

They're often needlessly killed because people confuse them with Copperhead snakes.

There are no venomous snakes in Door County.

I hope this snake eats some of those thieving ground squirrels.

2 comments:

  1. I'm seeking permission to use your photo of the snakeskin to illustrate an article I'm writing for my blog, http://ridgerider.blogspot.com

    Thanks,

    Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Permission granted.

    That skin belonged to a fox snake.

    Swamp Gas

    ReplyDelete