Friday, May 7, 2010

The Day Job

Probably the only thing better than not having a day job is having a day job you can do on your own terms.

The weather here at The Platz has been for crap today. Rain, rain, rain. And more rain. Can you believe that the weather guessers are forecasting snow for tonight? Three to six inches!

Sheesh.

I got up early this morning and rekindled a fire in the woodburner from last night's embers. It's been going all day long and shall continue into and thru the night if I have anything to do about it.

Anyway, I put the coffee on, fed Girlfriend and commenced my Day Job.

Give me a laptop, a secure high-speed connection, a scanner/fax/copier and a Blackberry and I'm good to go. Take your job everywhere.

And you know - it's kind of nice to lounge around in your flannel pants and a ratty old t-shirt and work. I began my day with a roaring blaze taking the dank chill out of the air, a giant bowl of oatmeal (topped with fresh raspberries) and a steaming cuppa joe at my elbow. Dog at my feet and the first orioles of the season on the nectar feeder.

Can you believe that I actually get paid the big bucks to do this?

Sheesh.

Need a break from this grueling routine?

Take Girlfriend out for a walk in the rain. She's nuts about the rain. She will actually seek out the nearest puddle just so she can gleefully tear through it. I actually believe that she deliberately stamps harder in the water so as to make the splashes bigger.

We retrieved the memory card from the trail camera, installed a clean card and moved the cam to a new location. Then home for a shower and change back into those comfy, plaid flannel pants.

Me - not her.

As I tap-out this post, work is complete and I've punched-out.

Time to put the feet up in front of the fire and enjoy a glass of Friends Red with my Frau.

Roasted chicken with garden spargel tonight.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment