Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Predator and the Piebald Deer

In the fall of 2008 I was bow hunting from my lucky stand high above the creek.

Why do you call it your lucky stand?

Well, I'm lucky I haven't fallen out of it. But it's mostly lucky because many deer have been taken from this stand. Last fall I shot two deer out of a group of eight from this stand. Now stop interrupting my story.

A small herd of deer ambled past me, north side of the creek, traveling east to west. I saw them coming and was at full draw as they stepped into my ambush.

Within a minute I shot two of those deer. I dropped them in their tracks - just like in the movie Predator.

I may not live long enough to repeat that feat - and it made for a helluva celebration.

One of the other things I remember from that experience is that one of the deer in the group had funny markings on her coat. For all the world it looked to me like a piebald deer. It was for that very reason I didn' t put the single sight pin of my Bowtech Diamond Liberty squarely behind her upper left shoulder.

Wouldn't you know it - her she is:














click on the picture to enlarge

If I had to guess she's probably about four or five years old by now. I'll have to keep my eye out for her.

That new trail camera takes nice pictures don't you think?

Enjoy this clip from the movie...

2 comments:

  1. Who ever would have thought two future governors were in that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Astute observation.

    That never occurred to me.

    ReplyDelete