Monday, May 7, 2012

Finally - The Orioles

While out working last weekend I found a Baltimore oriole (Icterus galuba) nest on the ground alongside the creek.

It's a sock-like nest constructed of spider webs and other woven material.

And it was in reasonably good condition having weathered the seasons since it was last used. 


So I hung it on the wall.  One more nest to add to the growing collection.

In any event I was wondering if the orioles were ever going to show-up.  Both a nectar and grape jelly feeder have been out for a month following a rumor that the orioles and humming birds had returned.

Weeks have past with no sign of either species.

Yesterday a flash of color caught my eye.

click on images to enlarge

They're back.  Last to arrive and first to depart.

Note to self - Don't listen to the rumors... 

1 comment:

  1. Yep, I too put out food in April, like a silly person!
    I've never had those birds arrive in April, and probably never will!
    This past week, though, they've all arrived and are eating like crazy!

    ReplyDelete