Monday, June 17, 2019

Grilling

Last year the hot tub was disconnected and went away.  This year I determined that the concrete slab were it had previously been associated would best be repurposed as a patio and grilling platform.  Its placement on the north side of the screen porch with a commanding view of the late afternoon sun, cocktail ambiance and easy access to the house thru one door made it a suitable location for grilling. The problem was that all of my grilling accoutrements were stored in the garage.  Charcoal, utensils, lighter chimney, side board and more were all stored on a couple of shelves with the automobiles and were not particularly accessible for ease of access, hosting a party and efficient grilling.  What was the solution?  A deck box.  On sale at Fleet Farm. A Suncast 72 gal Wicker Deck Box

Apparently these plastic boxes are kept on a deck for storing chair and lounge cushions and other items useful for entertaining on a deck.  They're not load-bearing so you cannot pick them-up and move them when filled with heavy contents.  Nevertheless, I figured I perfect for storing all of my grilling apparatus and more.  It was basically critter-proof, weather resistant and could live outdoors within arms-length of any of the grills.

After using it for a month and all of the stuff it held (and more) my repurposing idea took hold and was reinforced.  The deck box made grilling much easier. 

Nevertheless, I began to think ahead to winter.  With the arrival of snow grilling does not take a vacation.  The deeper the snows the tougher the going.  And when the going gets tough - the tough get grilling. I figured if I could get that deck box above the surface of the concrete it could ride-out the snows.  If Jill and I moved it to the shelter of the covered porch during the worst of times - better yet.  Furthermore, raising it a foot and a half saved some bending and stooping.  The solution would be sublime.

So, the other day I fished-around in the scrap lumber stored in the barn for materials. 


Leftover deer stand parts are perfect.  Fetching power tools from the workshop, tape measure, square, pencil and assorted deck screws I pieced-together a stand for the deck box. 


Admittedly, it is over-engineered but what else is new around here.  Robust is best.  I figure it will outlast the cheap plastic deck box and can easily be surfaced as a table for a Smokey Joe grill.  Waste not = want not.


It holds everything I need with plenty of room for more. 

That evening I grilled baby reds and a whole chicken on the throne.

click on images to enlarge
Everything was convenient and worked smoothly. 

It was sublime.....


No comments:

Post a Comment