Thursday, May 13, 2021

The Garden Chronicles

Most of you readers know that I like to garden – vegetable gardening to be clear. I found time to maintain a garden while holding-down a day job.  Now that I'm retired I stretch-out the joys of gardening.  

Sure, I know it is less time-consuming, far more convenient and absolutely less costly to purchase vegetables from a grocer or a local farm market.  I continue to do so myself because that is what rational people do.  I'm not preaching of life off the grid or promoting going full-bore apocalyptic prepper.   I want to introduce some of the tangible and intangible benefits of growing your own fruit and vegetables. 

A garden is a source of healthy food that can immediately find its way to the table or be canned or frozen for year-round use. The very act of tending a garden can have positive impacts on our physical and mental health. Don’t take my word for this – there is science to back it up

On a personal level I like knowing the source of my food and certainty in the knowledge that it is wholesome and pesticide-free. 

I’m not a control freak but I like the notion of choosing my regular lineup of plants that can be counted-upon to make a repeat appearance as a consequence of their predictability and our personal culinary tastes. I also like introducing an experiment or two every growing season and measuring outcomes.  I take notes, sketch locations and rotate my crops.

And there is the idea of starting from scratch each year and the challenge of insects, critters and weather conditions that erect obstacles in my path – and if successful the satisfaction of a job well-done with a harvest.

The science behind much of this supports the social and community connections and psychological benefits as well.   Gardening helps an individual to develop coping mechanisms and patience as there will always be frustrations over things that go wrong or are beyond one’s control.  Nevertheless, success contributes to building confidence.  And sharing the bounty contributes to a sense of community. 

Gardening likely is not going to solve all the myriad problems of our world – nevertheless, it is farm to table sustenance, a source of fresh air and sunshine and a connection to the natural world.  Gardening is good therapy. 

Got some stuff planted last Sunday so stay-tuned for periodic updates and Vive le Jardin Magnifique!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment