Friday, July 10, 2009

Whistling Past the Grave Yard

Germans are not the dominant ethnic group on the peninsula. They never were and never will be. Belgians settled the southern part of the peninsula and the Norwegians populated the northern portion.

Germans could be found east of the primary Belgian settlement near the town of Kolberg with scattered families around the rest of the county.

So - what's your point?

When I'm out riding about on my bicycle I am fond of visiting cemeteries.

Are you some sort of creepy ghoul?

No. I just like to visualize the lives lived and lost by the people that are buried there. Grave yards can be vast repositories of history if you don't mind taking the time to check them out. There's more on the subject over at the other blog.

Check out this grave marker-



It marks the resting spot of an early German settler.
What strikes me is the singular uniqueness of it.

It was crafted in Germany of porcelain in the form of a missal or bible and it lays flat on the ground. It is a bit faded and worn but hasn't been shattered by the grounds keeper's mower.

I cannot tell if it is the original marker or a modern-day or more recent marker.

Click on the photo to enlarge

2 comments:

  1. That's a beauty! It would be hard to believe it's old, but I bet it is.
    Have you met any Weborgs up there in Door County? I have a friend that married into that family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure looked old to me - I just couldn't believe a porcelain artifact would be that durable.

    Sorry. Don't know the Weborgs.

    ReplyDelete