Thursday, July 9, 2009

Update On the Food Plot

OK. Remember that food plot I planted over a month ago?

The Indian corn, the sunflowers and whatever else I had?

Here it is.

It is pathetic.

A collection of sparsely germinated forage peas, what looks to be some oats, stunted oil sunflowers and a half-dozen wizened corn plants.

If you look at the photo you'll see a robust crop of milkweed with all sorts of thistle.

Blech.

Plenty of hot growing weather but a lack of rain. The bare earth is cracking-open with fissures.

Last weekend I spent the better part of Saturday picking seed heads and nuking reed canary grass that tenaciously clings to its beachhead around the big pond.

At the end of the day I had about a three gallons of 6% glyphosate (with brilliant blue turf dye) remaining in the sprayer on the Polaris.

So I nuked this plot and another one as well.

I'll replant in August or early September. Probably a frost-tolerant mix of brassicas for the deer.

The birds got short-shrift this year. Plots can be hit or miss.
_____________________________________________________________________
I am reminded that I owe you readers an update on my turkey fan mount.

It is still curing on the work bench. The second turkey fan is in the freezer.

So much to do.

So little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment