Saturday, May 30, 2009

Swamp Gas is Plotting

What's up? You say.

And I would reply - I am plotting something.

Yeah, I know you're probably thinking - He's up to something and it's probably no good. He's been festering over something and now he's plotting something big. Something that will get people's attention maybe.

You would be partly right. It's big for sure but it's designed to get the attention of the critters.

The first food plot of the season has been planted.

I probably shouldn't even bother with this since there is so much farm land in the surrounding countryside - all chock-full of corn and beans and what not. Nonetheless, most of that stuff is harvested and off the fields by fall and I like to grow stuff with the intent of providing an insect attraction during the growing months and then leaving it stand over winter for the critters to eat.

In this case I am planting with the birds in mind - namely birds that hang-out here both during the summer and over the winter.



Step number one - Disc-up a big area of open ground.

This has been planted before so it is a task of little consequence to work the soil after it dries-out.

If it is a new plot you might have to kill the turf with an herbicide in the fall and again in the spring before you work the soil.







Step number two - Gather your supplies. Fertilizer, seed and a broadcaster.

Start by broadcasting your fertilizer. I use triple 19. The soil is neutral so I don't have to add lime. I just fertilize the daylights out of it.

Step number three - Broadcast seed. Beginning at one end of the plot I broadcast a pound of decorative corn. You know - the stuff that we used to know as Indian corn when we were kids.

Progressing towards the opposite end this was followed by about five pounds of oil sunflower seed. Lastly, I broadcast something on the order of five+ pounds of nondescript wildlife plot seed. With the exception of forage peas I've forgotten what else was in it. Aside from the ornamental corn everything was free from my Pheasants Forever Chapter.

I'll have to see what comes-up.

Step number four - Disc it again. I like to go in one direction so that the seeds kind of line-up in a half-arsed furrow.


The fifth and last step - Drive all over the plot using the tractor tires to compact everything and allow for good seed to soil contact.


Pray for rain.

This isn't rocket science and you'd be surprised at the results.

Some of our trails have been seeded into several varieties of clovers and once established all they require is some occasional mowing.

All the creatures of the forest enjoy clover.

I'll update you with a progress report before too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment