Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Turkey Tetrazzini?

Two gobblers already this year. That's a first.

About seven years ago I bagged a gobbler in the spring and a jake in the fall. Other than that it's been one turkey a year - and some years no bird at all.

Like the spring of 2006 when I hunted for three days in below freezing weather, with high winds and blizzard conditions.

There was no turkey that year.

That happens sometimes. That's the attraction about hunting. If it was easy everyone could do it.

So what to do with the handsome fella that you see in the photo below.


My wife makes a kick-ass turkey tetrazzini. Or maybe I could fix turkey breast tenderloins, or smoke a turkey breast, or slow roast the breast or make turkey schnitzel, or turkey cordon bleu.

Bottom line is breasts are easy. Legs too - for soup.

But what to do with those thighs?

Turkey Tuscan? Or Osso Buco? I wonder if I could prepare them like a sauerbraten?

Too many possibilities - so a good plan would be to pluck the thing leaving the skin intact and reserving the giblets and neck.

That allows me all sorts of options - such as brining it and roasting it stuffed with my wife's spicy pork sausage dressing.

If I roast it there is the possibility of turkey sandwiches, turkey salad and turkey soup to follow.

I could also deep fry it and we could enjoy KFT.

Or I could smoke it whole!


Bottom line is there is now a second turkey in the freezer along with the bird I got last month. One whole and the partitioned portions of another.


I have options to indulge whatever inspiration I encounter.

The one thing for sure is that my sister-in-law has already invited herself to Thanksgiving dinner no matter how we serve it.

When I find that inspiration I'll post the recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment