Sunday, July 5, 2009

A Strange Encounter



While this has happened a couple of times before it is too weird for words.

See that doe - just left-center of the picture?

I was out on the tractor clearing a trail with a brush mower. We're talking a clattering diesel tractor and a clanking and screeching mower. Altogether enough noise to wake the dead.

OK. I'm exaggerating. But I have to wear ear protection.

Anyway, this doe and a spotted fawn materialize from almost nowhere and approach me.

Yes. They approach me. The fawn leading the way.

I'm thinking - where did you put the camera you moron?

The fawn approached to within about fifty feet before the mom called it back. It was only by then that I had managed to fumble-about for the camera in the tool box.

Deer that would otherwise be scairt half to death about the approach of a human show no fear when there is loud machinery involved.

What the heck is that about?

This morning I asked my neighbor what he thought.

Tom, I can remember picking corn this one time and every time I made a pass this doe got-up and laid back down - always six rows over.

Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment