Friday, July 24, 2009

Chewy Capitalist Charity


I first met these three young entrepreneurs a year ago while riding my bike.

They were at the same location – the middle of just about nowhere but a bunch of dairy farms.

On the exact same date – early Sunday morning.

Peddling their yummy wares for the same price – nothing.

What’s for sale today – I ask.

Young girl - Lemonade and cookies! Oatmeal, chocolate chip and chewy cherry cookies.

Did you make them yourself?

Young girl – I made the chocolate chip and the oatmeal and my mom helped me with the cherry.

I see they’re free again this year. What’s that all about?

Young girl (obviously the threesome’s official spokesperson) – They’re free because you are riding your bikes to raise money to fight cancer we thought it would be a good idea to show-up with cookies and lemonade to help out. We did it last year you know.

OK. OK. What cookie do you recommend?

All three chime-in – Chewy cherry!

Good. I’ll take one.

I have to tell you that the chewy cherry was a good pick. Oatmeal, cherry and chocolate chips – and very chewy. It was excellent. (I need to get a hold of the recipe).

I still cannot believe you’re giving away these cookies for free.

All three in unison – Hey mister. We take tips you know!

I hit the tip can with the last five bucks in my fanny pack. The cycling team behind me helps themselves to cookies and lemonade and stuffs a twenty in the can.

Want to know where all those tips ended-up?

Yep. The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Kids, cookies, lemonade and a touch of hucksterism. What’s not to like about that?

Small town America.

That what keeps America great and a smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment