Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Return of the Osprey



New York Times Photo

A couple of years ago Braumeister and I were cleaning-up and putting stuff away in the garage after cutting-up a deer.

Hey, did you know that you have an osprey around here?

Not that I'm aware-of. Why do you ask? - I answer.

There's one sitting right over there in the big tree along the line-fence.

With that - the bird takes to the air voicing a strained whistle.

It's back.

Albeit temporarily.

I was hauling wood in from the porch to fill the wood box in anticipation of an afternoon of football followed by reading in front of the fire when I noticed a very large raptor soaring above the grassy field behind the house.

They're a striking bird of prey and easy to identify with their distinctive dark wrist patches on the undersides of their crooked wings.

They don't live around here as I never see them during the warm months. Although I see bald eagles from time to time.

With more than a foot of snow on the ground and ice on the bay this bird seems to have gotten a late start on its trip south for the winter.

Strange - don't you think?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's cool!
    I'm pretty sure that it is VERY unusual that you have an Osprey up there at this time, though.
    And I have to say, if that's your own shot of it, congrats, it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alas - I tried to get a picture of it but nothing doing.

    If you check the fine print that would be a New York Times photo.

    I checked my diary and until today the last osprey I saw here was on November 23rd of last year.

    That bird must have been hanging-out until the lakes in its territory finally iced-over.

    ReplyDelete