Sunday, January 24, 2010

News From the Swamp

It is a freak'n swamp out there.

Literally.

Girlfriend and I ventured out yesterday afternoon (packing heat since there have been wolf sightings in these parts) and there was water and ice everywhere. Water running in the creek. And both the big pond and little pond filled to over flowing. By the time we returned with the trail camera it had started to rain.

It rained all afternoon. It rained all night. As I tap-out this post it is just beginning to let-up. Since the ground is still frozen there is standing water all over the place. And we've lost a great deal of the snow. I've had to trade the snow shoes for the tall rubber boots.

Temperatures next week are expected to drop into the single digits. Then there will be a vast ice sheet across the land.

This is a good time to stay in doors and get caught-up on reading by the wood burner.

Can you believe it? Mud season is just around the corner.

4 comments:

  1. I was just getting my XC ski legs under me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should mention that. Never used my skis this year. Snow shoes plenty of times.

    I'm probably going to need ice skates by Thursday...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lapham Peak trails are constantly groomed and lighted until 10:00pm. Well worth the $20 annual trail pass.

    Always remember, beside being perfectly engineered to open a bottle of beer, an XC ski boot can also be used for skiing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha!

    Maybe the next time I go skiing around here I will take a rifle instead of a pistolero.

    I will hold my own one person biathlon...

    ReplyDelete