Thursday, August 19, 2010

Observations From the Road

I spend a portion of my week driving up and down the highway. Mostly for a couple of hours - but sometimes for many more. It depends on the demands of the day job.

Anyway, when I drive back and forth from the Door Peninsula to Milwaukee I cannot help but notice the number of vehicles and campers sporting kayaks on the roof rack.

I've been thinking - When the heck did kayaking become so popular? And why did this fad pass me by? I might just like to try kayaking sometime.


The Peninsula is becoming quite a destination spot for kayaking enthusiasts.

Surveys indicate kayaking has tripled in popularity nationally since 1998. The Outdoor Industry Association, which encourages outdoor activities and tracks their popularity, estimates 7.8 million people got into a kayak in 2008.

Seems like a young man's sport to me. But I'd sure like to try it.

Read more about paddle sports here.

2 comments:

  1. I would like to try it also. But I think I could rent one cheaper for the 2 times a year I would do it rather than buy one. Then I wouldn't have to buy a kayak rack either....or find a place to store it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point.

    Almost took lessons last month but other stuff preempted the plans.

    ReplyDelete