Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Lycopersicon esculentum

Latin for the common tomato.

I am beginning to find myself in Tomato Nirvana.

Just like early spring brings the spargle harvest with the tender shoots of asparagus every couple of days - I am now harvesting the bounty of upwards of twenty tomato plants.


The thing about vegetables is that they begin with fits and starts and then gather their forces for an insurmountable surge.

Roma, beefsteak, Early Girl, grape, tiny plum, yellow - you name it.

I went to Marchant's grocery last weekend to pick-up supplies for Schuetzenfest and Jose walked from the cooler to the meat counter with a couple of big slabs of fresh-smoked bacon balanced on each of his shoulders.

Pointing to a cross section of one of the slabs highlighting the rich meat lightly marbled in fat he says - What do you think of this?

I'll take two pounds. Cut thick.

He knew that he had caught me at a weak moment. I was vulnerable. I had BLTs on the brain.

But it goes beyond that.

Tomatoes and cottage cheese for breakfast.

Keeping a bowl of those tasty cherry tomatoes handy on your desk at the day job for snacking.

Or tugging a ripe one from the vine and eating it à la carte on the way to the shed.

Come February this will be a fond memory - only to be resurrected the following growing season.

Of course, there is always
Uncle Dick's Tomato Juice to be had in February.

Ask the boys who attended Schuetzenfest where you can find almost the world's best Bloody Mary garnished with pickled garden beans and cukes.

No comments:

Post a Comment