Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Return of the Aurora

Aurora Borealis – the Northern Lights - named for the Roman goddess of the dawn.

Early last Sunday a solar flare erupted from our closest star launching a flood of charged particles towards the earth.

About a decade ago I was entertained by a display of the northern lights when I ventured out before sun-up to bow hunt. Climbing into my stand in the pitch dark and settling-in I was stunned by what appeared to be a vast orange and blue (like the flame on a gas range) rippling across the morning sky.

As the sun rose it disappeared.

I just stepped-in having ventured-out and stood by the hot tub.

It is both clear and very dark. No light pollution.

Focusing on Polaris I then scanned the heavens to the west and to the east.

There was a ripple of green to the east. Not much - but the northern lights for sure.

I’m going to keep checking before I turn-in for the evening and perhaps set the alarm for an hour before 0-dark thirty.

It would be good to enjoy a steaming cup of joe and watch the light show and the sunrise.

Forecast is for clear skies.

2 comments:

  1. So, I'm curious, did you see any "lights?"
    I was considering driving due north in order to try and catch some of the light show, but a fellow photographer friend said I shouldn't just head out on a whim, especially a couple hundred miles. He said that when they're really strong, I should be able to see them even way down here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen better displays - but they were there.

    The most important thing for viewing is a clear and dark sky.

    ReplyDelete