Sunday, March 26, 2023

Sunday Epiphany?

Recently, someone over at The Bulwark (in response to a question of mine) smacked me upside the head.  I believe her intent was to bring me to my senses so I could figure it out.

She said...

To Trump supporters, the people who don't support Trump are not real Americans at all.  

Once the Trump intellectuals declared that Trump's great virtue is loving America more unapologetically than all of his detractors, then everything he does must be interpreted as an expression of pure patriotism.  

Failure to accept this as gospel invites ostracism.  Even if you are a family member or friend - Trump says you hate America.

Between you and me that seem a bit extreme.  And as I shall share in the next paragraphs not altogether true.  Nevertheless, it would appear to be a very real phenomenon.  

Consider this true story:  An acquaintance of mine I've come to know in my current affairs class is a solid Trump supporter.  As solid a believer as I've met.  She's a good person.  Smart.  Engaging. Pleasant and fun to carry-on a conversation.  We agree on more than appears on the surface.  Yet when it comes down to facts v. some conspiracy theories (which cuts both ways) we part company.  Nevertheless, she can carry-on a conversation with someone of a completely opposite point of view and not lose her composure.  

She and I spent most of a day together this winter - just the two of us -  touring historic Belgian chapels in Door, Kewaunee and Brown Counties.  Old chapels do not inspire cognitive dissonance - but we share an appreciation of mutual respect for differing political beliefs.

In our conversations she confessed to me her profound sorrow that her own family has largely renounced her as a consequence of her political views.  Even restricting her contact with her grandchildren.  To my view this is a situation both terrible to the extreme and exceedingly sad.  If I were treated like that I'd be disconsolate.  Without getting into details I shared that I experienced a similar event a year ago.  I've been on the receiving end of the treatment described in my Bulwark back-and-forth. 

That's the worst of it for me.  Most times, I can sense when I'm skating too close to the sun and seek a wider orbit.  Conflict is not conducive to friendship. 

We both commiserated in our mutual cancellations.  Although between you and me her situation is nastier than anything I have had a brush-with.  Be that as it may, it would appear this phenomenon cuts both ways.

What is of interest to me is that in its extremis, someone who is center right, neoconservative, or conservative but Never Trump can be canceled.  You do not have to be a raving liberal, merely viewed as unamerican.  Unworthy.  Or maybe it's all misconstrued as a consequence of lack-of or misinformation, strong-willed personalities, or something else. 

If anyone can further shed light on this I'm all ears.

Meanwhile, class has reconvened.  Perhaps Joan and I can meet one day afterward over coffee or lunch to discuss the subject of redemption.

Hers and mine....  _________________________________________________________________________ 

There is a population of conservatives, Republicans, center-right individuals and independent-minded voters who place a high value on facts and the truth. Marginalized because they refuse to embrace baseless conspiracy theories or demonstrate sufficient fealty and obeisance to the former guy - exile is their cross to bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment