Sunday, March 1, 2009

A Walk Down Memory Lane

As a kid growing-up on Milwaukee's north side I had my hands full with daily life.

My buddies and I used to ride our bikes up to the refuge bordering Good Hope Road. The refuge was a large wooded stretch of acreage with a couple of ponds. We spent countless hours there exploring, building forts and leaning how to spear, cook and eat a frog.

There was an abandoned farm house on the north side of the old two lane black top road - and it had a two-hole outhouse.

Ooooh-baby. What's not to like about that.

Just think. Our moms used to send us off for a day in the woods with our bicycles, a bag lunch and a reminder not to kill ourselves or poke-out an eyeball.

We survived.

Barely.

Anyway, along that time the cold war was really heating-up. Dad had stocked fresh water in the basement pantry along with all sorts of canned food. B-58 Hustlers were hurtling over our house with contrails and sonic booms to follow. At school it was duck and cover.

Tonight I read about a concert scheduled in Green Bay this month.

Barry McGuire and John York - Trippin the 60's.

I had almost forgotten about Timmy and Joey and I sitting around the turn table listing to the 45 recording of this song....


No comments:

Post a Comment