Tuesday, July 5, 2022

The Science Experiment

It was last weekend that I took the plunge and baked my first sourdough bread.  Not only did it look good - it tasted good too.  It makes terrific toast for breakfast.

My culture now lives in the fridge so I only have to feed and care for it once a week.  If I'm going to perform a bake I bring it out, feed it and allow it to set on the counter to come-up to room temperature and begin percolating.  That takes only a couple or three hours - enough time to go out and weed the garden.

On Saturday I mixed a batch of dough and let it proof 24 hours at room temperature.  By Sunday morning it looked like this...

And I baked a half-dozen sourdough rolls.


This was done indoors in the kitchen range so as to reduce unknown variables that may impact the bake.  With enough practice I'll eventually move this out to the brick oven to up the ante.

These were quite yummy.  A big batch would be terrific for deer camp.

Raising a toast to Lactobacillus fermentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment