Saturday, March 27, 2010

Smile For The Trail Cam



The old Wildview digital trail camera finally gave it up.

No amount of fresh batteries, reformatted disks or kind words could revive it. It is dead.

No complaints here.

Actually - I take that back. It gobbled alkaline C-Cells like they were going out of style. Especially in cold weather conditions. Nonetheless, I got quite few years of continuous use out my original forty dollar investment. Not counting all the batteries.

A new digital trail camera has entered service.

It's a Moultrie GameSpyi50. Complete with 5.0 megapixels of resolution, a 1 gig SD memory card, a laser for aiming the sucker and infrared flash. It is powered by six D-Cell batteries (cheaper than C-Cells) and is noted for its extended battery life.

It will date and time stamp each picture along with the temperature and moon phase.

As long as it takes good pictures and nobody swipes it I'll be satisfied.

Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. Use rechargeable batteries. I have some Titanium D-11000 Ni-MH batteries that will last up to 2 days on my airiator for the minnows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about it for about a year. I use rechargeable batteries in the two-way radios because they get a lot of use.

    The problem with the trail camera is I'd have to have twelve rechargeable batteries. One set in the camera and another ready to swap-out when the other ones die or the memory card has to be uploaded.

    That, and another charger, would get kind of pricey don't you think.

    ReplyDelete