Thursday, April 8, 2010

Spargelzeit


The spargel has emerged.

Ooooh baby. This is its third growing season since I established the bed and now I get to harvest.

Suppose you were to be the recipient of an invitation for a spargelessen. You should treat it with the utmost respect and decorum. The perfect spargel is in short supply so an invitation to such a dinner party is a special occasion.

Wait, wait. Do not bother with checking your mailbox. There is no invitation from me. I am keeping all of my spargel for personal consumption.

If you have the opportunity to indulge in the spring delicacy always eat from the stalk end to the tip. Saving the best for last.

2 comments:

  1. You must mound up some dirt around the tender shoots as they grow, keeping them out of the sun as long as possible. The spargel will be white in color, and twice as tender and tasty. it's a lot of work, but worth every minute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, yeah, yeah.

    However, I haven't the time for that. Besides, I'm impatient.

    Those delectible stalks will be consumed immediately upon pickable length!

    ReplyDelete