Thursday, April 22, 2010

Talkn' Turkey


This is my typical kit that I take afield for hunting. A cammo pack containing the following:

A book

Turkey box call and a crow call

Blackberry

An envelope of Quick Clot along with a trauma bandage

One sandwich, a couple of granola bars and a hard-cooked egg

Toilet paper

Headlamp

Three Hevishot 12 ga. magnum turkey loads

Ziploc containing license, tags, latex gloves and knife

Bottle of water

Steel thermos filled with black coffee

A Mossberg auto-loading turkey gun

What's the crow call for? You're not hunting crows are you?

The crow call is known as a locator or shock call. When you give it a couple of sharp blasts any gobblers that are in the area are going to feel compelled to respond to it with excited gobbling. It can help to locate your quarry.

Spent all day yesterday out in the woods. Had a gang of six jakes in my sights and passed on them. One hen gave me a wide berth. Lots of gobbling and yelping. One solitary shot from my neighbor's woodlot.

Sid saw more birds than I did but didn't have any decent shot situations. Back at it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment