Saturday, October 14, 2017

Embracing the Zealotry



click on the Pharisee for a better look
Back in the time of Christ there were Jews who resisted Roman rule.  Tough hombres they frequently responded violently.  As a matter of fact some biblical scholars associate Jesus with this movement. When the Romans put Jesus to death the title over the cross read:  This is the King of the Jews.  

It may be that Pilate condemned Jesus to death because he believed him to be a violent nationalist and Jewish revolutionary.  On the other hand I have some issues about the obvious inconsistency of an alleged ruthless insurrectionist who would preach a belief that we love our neighbors.  Biblical teachings aside these Jewish revolutionaries are remembered historically as The Zealots.

Nowadays it is generally accepted that a zealot is a person who is fanatical and uncompromising in pursuit of their religious, political, or other ideals.  Back in the big city I have become known as a zealot because I preach - and am a practitioner - of the heresy called sustainable forestry.  I am referred to with a new pejorative – Tree Farmer.  Yup, I know it sounds nuts.  Yet silly people spout this nonsense as it is the foundation of their belief system.  And that's just fine and OK by me.  In this country we still tolerate alternate belief systems.  I think.  So far.  Nevertheless I struggle with a modern day inconsistency. 

Where do these believers think their toilet paper comes from?  A magical warehouse?  Or maybe they eschew the use of toilet paper?  I digress.  

In any event, as a practitioner of the heresy I met yesterday with one of the Pharisees – also known as a forester – to walk my woods and discuss a thinning.  At the close of our meeting we agreed to general business terms and what a contract should contain.  Following acceptance of the agreement he’s returning to begin marking trees and hopefully there’s enough volume to conduct a profitable logging operation.  Breakeven is fine too.  A small out-of-pocket project is sub-optimal but I suppose we can live with that.  

So stay tuned.  And if you're inclined - go ahead and embrace the zealotry.  At your own peril...

No comments:

Post a Comment