Thursday, October 12, 2017

Boy Scouts Admit Girls - Dogs and Cats Get Along - End of World



Plenty of consternation on Facebook in the last 24 hours about the Boy Scouts of America possibly opening their membership to girls.   

Money-grab, power-grab, pillaging, you name it.   

As an adult with plenty of fond memories of scouting – including Cub, Boy and Explorer Scouts I’d like to weigh-in here where only serious minds gather.    

My involvement in scouting ended the first semester of my freshman year in college.  I had the distinct privilege of membership in Post #495 (sketchy on the number).  Admitting senior Girls Scouts in the early 1970s Post #495 was the first co-ed Boy Scout org in the  Milwaukee County Council.  I suppose my tenure in scouting throughout the counter-culture movement of the 1960s and 1970s speaks volumes nowadays.  But I digress.  

I think scouting today is more important than ever.  In an age of instant gratification and entertainment available at the touch of a flat screen our youth have become removed from the outdoors, personal challenges and service to others.  If scouting orgs in the future can harness technology to reverse that trend more power to them.    

In any event, I learned something today listening to satellite radio while on the road.  Scouting in Canada made the switch in 1998. Remarkably, the sky did not fall, the sun did not cease to rise and the world did not end.   Today it has grown to become the nation's leading youth organization.  Scouting rocks.    

You can learn more about scouting in Canada here:  http://www.scouts.ca/    

End of Rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment