Friday, June 4, 2010

Better Living Through Chemicals

My Frau says to me - Something is eating my roses. Can you please fix it? Maybe spray them so that it stops. After-all, I had them all caged and protected during the winter so the rabbits would't eat them you know.

I have just the fix.

Carbaryl. Another wonder product courtesy of Bayer CropScience.

Four ounces of liquid concentrate mixed in a backpack sprayer with three gallons of water.

All of that for a few rose bushes?

No. Of course not.

I sprayed the oaks, tamarack and birch in the yard and surrounding area. It's turning-out to be a bad year for gypsy moth.

2 comments:

  1. Is it a risk to people and pets? I never use pesticides which makes me somewhat of a leftie that way. I'd rather just deal with the bugs, but I'd probably look at it differently if I had a crop at risk to the little buggers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rather low risk to people with careful spot treatments. Keep pets away during treatment. A naturally occurring organism that can be used for controlling pests is Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt). Very good for the garden. Lots of communities spray this stuff to control Gypsy Moth. The problem is that it kills desirable caterpillars too - like Monarchs.

    But you didn't hear they from me.

    ReplyDelete