Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Better Living Through Chemicals


Last year I discovered a really bad infestation of four-seeded vetch.

It had crowded-out (and subsequently killed) a dozen or so saplings that I had so carefully planted by hand to the west of the house.

It was right under my damn nose.

That's the culprit to the left.

It grows in a dense mat-like formation virtually carpeting the ground to a depth of six to eight inches. It smothers everything in its path that isn't tall enough to rise above the invader.

It's growing vigorously again and that makes it vulnerable to something in my vast arsenal of chemical warfare agents.

Transline.

Yes. This product from Dow AgroSciences is one of those wonderful compounds that is deadly to noxious weeds but will not harm most trees.

I prepared twelve gallons of spray mix - including a surfactant (Silco) and nuked the vetch.

I applied a slightly lower dosage than the label called-for to see what happens. Less is always best.
I'll report later on results.
Edit - As of Wednesday afternoon the vetch was already looking rather sickly and wilted.
Death to the invader.

No comments:

Post a Comment