Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Better Living Through Chemicals

What? More chemicals? Are you nuts?

No. It's just that if you are going to control pests it is best to do so earlier - rather than later when your pests have grown to humongous proportions and require measures like firearrms.

Truthfully - I make every attempt to use only organic-approved pesticides on my produce.

I want you to know that the crack gardeners here at the Platz are pragmatists. We are not absolutists.

It is written that apple trees should be sprayed with a foliar application six to eight times a year. That is what is done with the orchard apples that you purchase at the grocery.

Me? I'm lucky if I spray my apple trees twice a year.

Mostly because I forget

Nonetheless, earlier this week since I had the spray equipment out I swapped-out a hand-held spray wand for a six foot applicator on a backpack sprayer and mixed-up a couple of gallons of Bonide to spray my apples.

As I suspected - the apple crop will be shy this year.

A vigorous tree but a cold and rainy spring resulted in fewer pollinators. The crab apple-sized apples are sparse indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment