Thursday, July 1, 2010

If Only the Dead Could Talk

Captain J.A. Wilson.

Click on image to enlarge

Our virtual bicycle tour takes us to his final resting place. And that of his wife - Margaret - who lived considerably longer than her seafaring spouse.


I've dug-up the complete story on this.

It is fascinating.

Wilson plied the Great lakes for almost fifty years under the employ of the Goodrich Navigation Company of Chicago.

Born of immigrants - his formal education ended in Cleveland, Ohio at the age of fourteen. It was then he began his sailing career. He sailed saltwater seas to places as far as England and New Orleans returning to the Great Lakes to spend forty-six years in service with the Goodrich Line.

Margaret Collins was born of Irish immigrants - her parents settled near Baileys Harbor in the early 1840s to tame a parcel of government land. Margaret was educated in Baileys harbor - walking from the farm two and a half miles through the woods and an Indian village to school.

There were no roads in those days.

The Captain and Margaret married on December 8, 1887. Four children followed - John, Alice, Georgia and Arthur.

Following his death - Margaret operated a farm and what has been described as a fine hotel building at Kangaroo Lake. She was a successful forerunner in the summer resort business on the peninsula.

Ships and resorts.

A Captain and a Hotelier.

Even today - some things never change.

5 comments:

  1. When I saw the Wilson name, I assumed it would end up being THE Wilson's, from Ephraim, that is. I'm headed up there next week and also can't wait to visit my favorite cemetery, the one in Peninsula State Park. Really enjoy your graveyard stories, as I also like to photograph them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.

    Are you talking about Blossomberg Cemetery - near the south entrance of the park?

    Some of my pictures came from there.

    Captain Wilson is buried outside of Baileys Harbor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am assuming there is only one cemetery in Peninsula State Park...I haven't been there in years, but I recall the cemetery having incredibly huge trees and beautiful old gravestones. It's been so long since I've been there that I no longer use film in my camera, and I no longer use a view camera, complete with a black cape! I am seriously overdue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is at least one pioneer cemetery where the early settlers are buried. You can get to it by bike trail.

    Blossomberg dates from 1904 to the present. It is both old and new.

    Both are reasonably close to one another.

    Do you know where the Indian Chief is buried?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I must have been in the older cemetery, then, because I remember seeing some markers from way earlier than 1904, that's for sure. And I just did some research and see that Chief Simon Kahquados is buried on the golf course between the 1st and 9th holes, near the Memorial Pole! Wow, that's neat. I'm not a golfer, so I guess I can't get close to that site. I can hardly wait to get back up there...hoping to see things I never did before.

    ReplyDelete