Saturday, July 3, 2010

If Only the Dead Could Talk


More of the virtual cemetery tour.

A couple more veterans too.

The fella on the left has a modern flush marker. Probably a replacement of an earlier one.

He died close to the end of the conflict. As I snapped this picture I was wondering if he died in the war. Or did he return from the war and perish of natural causes?

It was easy to locate George in the US Census database. The 1910 census has him living with his mother Carrie and father Andrew in Gibraltar.

Finding anything about his service in the army was more difficult. No draft or enlistment records that I could locate.

Then - bingo!

Under Wisconsin's casualty lists - there he was:

George Daniel Anderson, Fish Creek, WI.

Listed halfway down the center column.

Dead.

Just before the war ended in November.









Here's a traditional stone instead of a VA-issue marker.

At thirty-four years of age, mention of military and a date of September 16, 1918 the clues suggest WWI.

A search of the US Census led me to a John E. Emery with a July 1884 date of birth in Wisconsin - but living in Nebraska in 1900.





A further search of World War I draft registration cards leads to a John J. Emery from Taycheedah.

That's it to the left. But the date of birth is wrong!

At this point the trail becomes a dead end. I am stumped.

Nothing to shed any light on how this Emery guy ended-up buried in a cemetery outside of Baileys Harbor.

Did he die in the war?

Company E, 128 Infantry is
Wisconsin National Guard.

Maybe someone can shed more light on this story?

Click on images to enlarge









4 comments:

  1. They say the dead finally rest when the last person who knew them dies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is interesting. I've not heard that before.

    I procured a subscription to Ancestry.com and have been having a blast researching some of my store of gravestones.

    This has proven to be one of the more efficient means of blowing an entire evening...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sergeant Emery was Sgt. 1st class Emery Eatough (Emery was his first name). It appears that he died of pneumonia in Alsace Chateau Thierry in WWI (16 Sept. 1918). He was born on 5 July 1894 to Roger Eatough and Ella (Ellen) Kilgore Eatough. He had an older brother named Lester. I also found a Mr. & Mrs. Emery Eatough living in Manitowoc around 1961-1965. Perhaps Lester had a son and named him Emery in honor of his brother. You can find out more by going to Ancestry.com. I tried to send the links, but I am having trouble with my computer. One of your AZ readers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!

    Thanks for solving this.

    I briefly considered that Emery was the first name but immediately dismissed it as impossible.

    Why would someone only use a first name on a head stone?

    I should return to the cemetery and check to see if this is one of several less conspicuous markers that is part of a larger family plot.

    ReplyDelete