Friday, September 17, 2010

Top Ten War Movies - #8

The year 1970 was a good year as far as motion pictures about wars go. Three from that year have made the Top Ten list.

Maybe I was just an impressionable lad.

Who knows.

Tora! Tora! Tora! featured a small handful of recognized Hollywood actors including Jason Robards, E.G. Marshall and James Whitmore. There were a bunch of Japanese actors to round-out the cast as well.

I suspect that one of the reasons this film made such a lasting impression upon me was at this time of my life I was devouring anything I could read about military history. Plus the film used subtitles to add an aura of additional authenticity.

This motion picture quite effectively spun the historical tale surrounding the Empire of Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor.

While they were state-of-the art forty years ago – the special effects are kind of hokey by today’s standards. Detailed scale models instead of digital. Oh, that's right, digital special effects weren't invented yet.

It remains a great movie.



2 comments:

  1. I nominate The Great Escape for number 1!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great movie for sure.

    But didn't make the top ten as it didn't fit my criteria.

    ReplyDelete