Friday, September 3, 2010

Top Ten War Movies - #10

Produced in the UK this cinematic giant featured an all star line-up of Hollywood greats – Peter O’Toole, Alec Guinness, Anthony Quinn, and Omar Sharif.

It is worthy of mention that one of my all-time favorite movies is Dr. Zhivago - also starring Omar Sharif. That particular movie also included a war (revolution to be exact) but it doesn’t necessarily meet my strict criteria for inclusion. It's basically a love story.


Although it was a much better picture than Gone with the Wind. But I digress.

My dad took me to see this movie as a kid and while I had no clue about the history of T.E. Lawrence - the swashbuckling and heroic actions of the leading character combined with all of the charging horses, camels, desert scenery and Arab intrigue left me awed.

This first film and the final film date to my childhood.


Lasting impression - whenever I hear this musical score I am transported immediately to the old childhood home. And then I cannot shake it from my head. We probably also had the LP in the household for playing on the hi fi.




No comments:

Post a Comment