Sunday, May 29, 2011

For The Birds

There is a bumper crop of birds this year.  More than I can recall in recent times.

A pair of geese in the big pond.

A pair of mallards too.

We're still seeing the great blue heron walking about.

The Baltimore orioles have polished-off one jar of grape jelly already and the Frau recently returned from Havegard's with fifty pounds of thistle seed for the burgeoning goldfinch population.

At last count there are a half-dozen feeding stations out.

Just the other day one  of the hummingbirds found its way into the garage and couldn't find its way out.  It was chirping and frantic to find an exit.

So I grabbed a broom and held it up.

Right on cue the little bird perched atop the bristles and I carried it to the overhead door to be released.

It's all for the birds.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for the birds! I've had a bumper crop of orioles this year. The only low-count bird for me this year is the lone eaglet on the nest. Have a great holiday! I might have to change my screen name, though, since we did get the 41 acre parcel I told you about!! Lebanon Lady might be appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the big piece of dirt you and the hubby have purchased!

    I expect you'll miss life on the lake - but think of the big palette you're going to have.

    When you're ready I have a house warming gift for you both.

    A nest box!

    (Sorry for the late reply but Google's comment feature has been on the fritz for a couple of days)

    ReplyDelete