Saturday, May 4, 2013

Nuke The RCG

Ha!  I'll bet that title got your attention. He's talking about nuking the Republic of something that begins with the letters C and G.

Actually I'm referring to one of those rites of spring (and sometimes a rite of fall) namely spraying the reed canary grass with an herbicide.  Short form is Nuking the RCG.

I installed the fifteen gallon tank sprayer on the Polaris and filled it with water, 5+ cups of Rodeo concentrate and a blue turf dye.  Five cups in fifteen gallons of water give me an application strong enough to kill, Rodeo is labeled for wetland use and the turf dye is useful for keeping track of where you've sprayed.  Spring is good because the invasive RCG greens-up before most of the native grasses and forbs and is vulnerable because it stands out.

I've been rather diligent about this for a few years and the results are showing.  In areas that previously had been solid masses of RCG turf I now have only scattered remnants peeking thru.  Where RCG previously dominated there are now native plant like marsh marigold, sun drops and blue vervain. 


click on the four-wheeler to enlarge

No comments:

Post a Comment