Friday, March 28, 2014

The Gravy Train

How many of you have ever dined on gravy bread?

You know what I'm talking about.  Bread with leftover meat and gravy poured over it.  I grew up on the stuff.  I had it a church camp.  I ate it at scout camp.  I had it at home.  My dad acquired a taste for it when he was in the army.  Of course, the military referred to it as SOS (shit on a shingle) I know any number of ex-military types that have a fondness for SOS.

Back in the day families ate this stuff because it was a great way to make use of leftovers and stretch you food budget.  If you had a large family is was an economical way to feed the growing tribe.  Countless Thanksgiving turkeys and Sunday pot roasts found their way back to the dinner table reincarnated as gravy bread.

The other day I got to thinking about utilizing some chicken leftovers to make some gravy bread.  As a matter of fact this is pretty healthy stuff.  The gravel was made from simmering the neck and giblets to make a rich chicken stock.  Low fat as there were no pan dripping in it.  I added some leftover pieces of leg and thigh meat - low fat as there was no skin in it.  And I thickened it with a slurry of corn starch.

Ladled it over whole grain, oat-nut, Brownberry bread making it healthier yet.  This is like health food.  And it tasted so good that I'm thinking of making this with fresh baked biscuits for deer camp this year.

click on image to enlarge

No comments:

Post a Comment