Friday, February 18, 2011

McKee Barracks

I never cease to be amazed at the resources that can be found on the web that are freely available.

The other day I dipped my toe into childhood and my early years on a US Army post in Germany.

Camp McKee was closed in 1994.  Nonetheless, someone is keeping track of former US Army airfields in Germany.  This Google map below shows the position of the single landing strip in blue.  Located immediately above (bordered by Haller Straße  to the north) is what's left of the former army post.


View Crailsheim AAF/AHP in a larger map

If you click on the link above to view the larger map you can zoom-in to locate the main post entrance and the post's streets lined with large and mature trees.  Most of the buildings have vanished.  Yikes!

I have an original copy of the US Army draft of the layout of buildings and airfield for the original cantonment dating back to the early years of McKee Barracks.

I should locate it and compare it with Google''s imagery.   

5 comments:

  1. I was thrilled to find a facebook group for kids whose dads had been stationed at Torrejon in Spain. Finally, other people who knew what I was talking about when I mentioned field trips to the wax museum in Madrid, the guy who came around on his bike to sharpen knives, and writing to the Three Kings in Spanish in second grade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my father was stationed in Crailsheim in 56 57 and coming back stateside during 58. He was a Medic for the 56th Medical Battalion. If any way possible I am hoping you can send me pictures of the base and Crailsheim during that time.
    I would love to give him a photo album of pictures of where he was in Germany. I did locate the ship he came back on from Germany the
    USNS General Simon B. Buckner. He cried when I described the ship to him. i would love a copy of the draft of the army base. If you could help me I would appreciate it. My email myfamily_iluv@yahoo.com My time in Germany was early 80's I was there for 4 yrs Hahn AFB (that is another sad story for a different time) Love your deer hunting pictures I wish my boys were there 22&19. I love deer sausage and deer chili!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Ann. Are you a member of our Facebook page: McKee Barracks Alumni? We have lots of older pictures posted there and even some people who were probably there around the time your dad was there.

    ReplyDelete