Thursday, November 25, 2010

Build It And They Will Come

Happy Thanksgiving.

I'm feeling rather thankful today.

I have a terrific family, a terrific life, a terrific job and I live in a terrific country.

It just doesn't get much better than that.


I was out hunting this afternoon and after sitting (and following a long walk) ended-up at the ancestral campsite.

I made myself comfortable on the bench and immediately concluded that someone should tidy-up the disheveled fire ring. I got to thinking that I should have packed some fire starter. As cold as it was a nice campfire would have been welcome.

I waxed-philosophical about how hunting has changed over the years.

Back in the day the deer only had two ways to sneak across the cultivated fields. A strategically-placed hunter stood a reasonably good chance of picking-off a deer with a high-powered rifle and decent optics.

That has all changed.

More than a decade ago all of the tillable acreage was taken out of production and planted into permanent cover. Namely warm-season grasses and forbs and trees. More than 40,000 trees. First, one pond followed by a second pond - to compliment the intermittent creek. The Frau and I figured that if you build it they will come. The critters that is.

We built a vast plot of mast-bearing trees along with the cover they provide and some fresh water resources. There are some clover plots planted into small portions of roughly three miles of trails and firebreaks.

In the ensuing years the hunting has vastly improved. Grouse, woodcock, turkey and deer. Even the doves.

Which is why I often hunt with only a .12 GA slug gun. Iron sights for rapid target acquisition. Many deer are now killed within only fifty yards or so.

Last year I shot two deer with a rifle. The year before I killed two with my bow. This year I am deerless.

Far from depressed over this - philosophically-speaking - I'm kinda happy to pass on some shots and see some of the other guys bag a trophy of their own.

The Frau and I are glad we built it.

We've enjoyed countless recreational opportunites here at The Platz. We've brought a number of new hunters into the fold and made many new friends.

We have much to be thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment