Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Kayak Nation

A week ago I was returning to the big city and spotted a vehicle pulled-over on the left hand shoulder and a man in the road.

The next thing I see are a pair of kayaks scattered in the road.

Hitting the brakes I checked my 20 for traffic behind me and carefully maneuver around the man and his (now scratched and possibly dented) kayaks.

I did not have time to grab the smart phone and take a picture.  All I could think of is how dangerous it is to pull-off onto the left shoulder on a busy four lane highway.  Nuts.

This is the second incident of loose kayaks on the roadway that I have been witness to.  Both just outside of Brussels, WI.  You never hear or see of loose bicycles on the road.  Or errant car top carriers.  Canoes. Or Christmas trees.  Are kayak owners careless or prone to cutting corners?

This fella clear has done a better job of securing his vessels to the roof rack.  Nylon straps with locking ratchets.  No simple rubber bungee cords.

No comments:

Post a Comment