Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Sick Deer?

Last week I posted a picture of a deer with what I figured was a skin disorder.  Here it is.


My pal Lawyer offered-up a possible diagnosis of fibromastosis.  So I passed along the picture of both the deer and Lawyer's suggestion to a deer biologist with the WDNR.

He replied:  It’s really hard to say anything is out of the normal on this deer in my opinion. At first glance, the dark patches on the coat just look like tufts of hair sticking up to me. Fibromastosis is an option, however. Hopefully a few more pictures will provide additional clues. Let me know if you get more pictures.

So here's another picture.

click on images to enlarge

I think it might be the same deer and other than the worsening of the skin disorder the animal looks perfectly healthy.  I sent the picture on to WDNR over the weekend.

I'll let you know what I find out.





No comments:

Post a Comment