Thursday, May 8, 2014

Road Kill

In January of this year I posted a picture of a deer hoof sticking out of the deep snow alongside the road.   

I figured a deer was struck by either a car or the county plow and ended-up dead in the ditch and buried by the snow.  I was even tempted to walk over there and give that foot a tug to see if I could pull it free of its wintery embrace.  Upon further reflection I figured all would be revealed when the spring thaw arrived.

Like so many other things that are out of sight and then out of mind it was the same for this dead deer.  I forgot about it.  Until I noticed some skeletal remains that a critter had dragged out of the ditch.

While out the other day installing new nest boxes I gave the carcass a closer look.



From the size of it - probably a fawn born a year ago.  It's been picked-clean.  Nature can be pretty efficient about cleaning things-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment