Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Donald Trump



It is now a week post-election and my views on Donald Trump have not changed or moderated.

In my opinion he is a bombastic and vulgar personality and a thoroughly loathsome individual.  His unrestrained fecklessness is troubling in a dangerous world.  I would have preferred a smarter and more honorable candidate and he did not earn a vote from me. 


Nevertheless, he is president-elect and I have always respected the office of the president regardless of my personal opinion or political estimation of the occupant.



Consider this.  Donald Trump is a pragmatic businessman with a very flexible ideology and a strong desire to be seen positively. On the other hand, he can be a ruthless and often improvisational deal maker with no loyalty to the institutional norms that set the boundaries for traditional political power. I'm willing to wait and see what Trump and a Republican congress can demonstrate in governing.  I'm sure to circle back and opine in a future post.



Just letting anybody reading know where I stand.


2 comments:

  1. My concern, which seems increasingly valid, is that he will staff his administration with sycophants with dubious qualifications. I'll reserve judgement until I see who he pics for some of these posts, but some of the names mentioned are truly frightening. Palin, Bannon, Clark? This is the best he could come up with? Did "drain the swamp" mean "lets run the government with a bunch of dangerous kooks?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll have to see how this works for Herr Trump.

    ReplyDelete