Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Trip to the Louvre

First trip to the Louvre on Monday and it was generally OK.  

Being one of the few museums open on Monday it was quite busy - especially the popular exhibits.

I was having a grand time checking-out old French painters, Greek and Roman sculpture and glass, Egyptian antiquities and more and it wasn't until I decided to inspect the popular stuff that life got interesting.

Take - for instance - the Winged Victory of Samothrace.  This headless sculpture has been displayed at the Louvre since 1884 making it one of the most celebrated sculptures of all time.

 click on image to enlarge

The problem with the visit was the throng of individuals - selfie sticks in hand - pushing and shoving to jockey for photo dominance. It was a mob scene.

It gets worse.

This is my best photo of the Mona Lisa.  


Yes, that's her on the far side of the horde.  

I attempted better but the pushing, elbowing and shoving from dozens upon dozens of 100 pound rude princesses only resulted in these crappy photos.




In the midst of it all someone in the crowd blew chow and projectile vomit covered the floor.  The scrum slipped right-on thru.  It was gross beyond belief and I am not making this up.  With all of the elbows flying, jostling and the risk of losing an eye to a selfie stick (being careful not to slip) I beat a hasty retreat.  

Discouraged I skipped Venus De Milo.  

I went to see the Mona Lisa and as evidence of my visit  returned with this photo of a martyred Saint John the Baptist...



Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment